Sunday, March 23, 2014

Moore's book helps to discern spiritual direction

Photo Credit: Nancy Agneberg
At the end of her blog post, "March's Book: A Religion of One's Own by Thomas Moore", Nancy Agneberg invites readers to respond to:
"What is your definition of religion? How does your personal religion and formal religion intersect and has that changed over the years? I would love to know."
Agneberg provides background to her discussion of Moore’s new book, A Religion of One’s Own, by writing, "The years of being without a church home coincided with a deep spiritual growth in my life. Yearnings I had been feeling for a long time had room and time to expand and gain audience. It was during the Ohio years that I trained to be a spiritual director and had many opportunities to lead retreats and groups. I actively pursued my interest and use of a wide variety of spiritual practices and traditions."

She affirms, "Once again, the right book at the right time appears. A Religion of One's Own: A Guide to Creating a Personal Spirituality in a Secular World by Thomas Moore. Moore's other books, including Care of the Soul, Soul Mates, and Dark Nights of the Soul, all have a permanent place on my bookshelves, and this one will as well." With brief quotes from Moore’s new book, Agneberg highlights significant aspects in her current life.