Monday, August 15, 2011

The child is the soul's unfolding of possibility

Life-coach-in-training Sasha Cagen writes about rereading Moore's Care of the Soul and coming across passages that resonate with current uncertainties, in her post "The Power of Admitting You Don’t Have It Figured Out" on her site Quirkyalone: Fuel for Uncompromising Romantics. Cagen includes:

"I get the feeling that from the outside I look strong and sure, but I often feel small and confused. Like a child. Breaking down in tears to my peer coach felt potent and real.
Later that weekend I snuggled on the couch rereading an old favorite book: Care of the Soul: A Guide for Cultivating Sacredness and Depth in Everyday Life by Thomas Moore (Harper Collins, 1992). I stumbled on a perfect passage to clarify why admitting that I don’t have it figured out – that I feel like a child – actually felt very pressure-relieving."
She also states, "Later he writes of the 'beginner’s mind' of a child, 'we have to find ways to unlearn those things that screen us from the perception of profound truth. We have to achieve the child’s unknowing because we have been made so smart.'" Cagen suggests we accept our child parts in all of life's transitions.

Labels: